We use cookies to offer the best possible user experience on our website. We also use third-party cookies, to deliver personalised advertisement messages. By using our website you agree, that cookies can be saved on your device. Further information on the cookies used and on how to disable them can be found here.
 
 

History

The municipality of Livinallongo del Col di Lana, Fodom in Ladin (the traditional language) and Buchenstein in German, is one of the municipalities which is part of the 5 ladin valleys. Situated in the high Cordevole valley among the Dolomitean Passes Pordoi, Campolongo and Falzarego, the area is located along the border with the provinces of Belluno, Trento and Bolzano/Bozen.
Our walley, of which the main touristic centre is Arabba, has a very ancient story, began with the “Salvàns" and “Ganes”, by now turned into mythological characters of our legends.
The area fell under the power of Tyrol with the construction the Andraz castle around the 1000 A.D., recently renovated and visitable nowadays. It was built to protect the Tyrolean southern border, so it turned into a residence of the Princes-Bishops of Brixen, who were also the right to exploit the Fursil mines, in the municipality of Colle Santa Lucia, another village of the ladin valley.
Between 1901 and 1909 a big event was fundamental for the progress of tourism : the construction of the Big Road of the Dolomites "Die Große Dolomiten Straße", which connects the town of Bolzano/Bozen with Cortina, crossing Costalunga Pass, Pordoi Pass and Falzarego Pass. Then along the route the first hotels opened.
Later Livinallongo became possession of the Austrian empire until the First World war, that here had been so bloody.
The name of the village comes from the ladin world "livinal", which means a canyon, subject to landslides, referring probably to the narrow valley that characterizes Cordevole river's course. The entire denomination "Livinallongo del Col di Lana" refers to the same mountain, the "Col di Lana", becoming sadly famous because of the bloody period during the First World war until Caporetto defeat in 1917.
The ladin word "Fodom" seems to refer to the beeches that grow here ; the same origin comes the German name "Buchenstein", that combines the word "Buche" (beech) and "Stein" (stone), maybe referring to the Andraz castle. The latin identity and the Tyrolen history are today again very important among the population, the reason why they built the museum of History, Customs and Traditions of Ladin people, near the monument of the ladinian heroine Caterina Lanz. Another place symbol is Arabba ancient mill where rye and barley were ground.

Col di Lana was a place of hard combats during the First World war with 8000 fatalities, where comes the name "Col di Sangue"(blood), the reason why was built the "Col di Lana Monte di Sangue" Museum at the Pordoi Pass.
So famous was the mine explosion of 5 tons dynamite from the Italian sappers on the 17th of April 1916 at 23:35. Some part of mountain collapsed and 150 Austrian militars died, so Italian troups could occupy the peak.
In 1917, after the Caporetto defeat the Italian troups had to leave.
It is possible today again to notice the enormous crater born after the explosion.
In a few time were built a numerous number of Italian graveyards in Pian di Salesei, Andraz, Castello and also Austrian in Col di Roda, Valiate, Val Parola (2) and Pordoi Pass.
In 1938 was built the Sacrary of Pian di Salesei with  4700 unkown corpses, 704 known of which 19 Austrian. In 1956 it was completed the contruction of the Ossuary at the Pordoi Pass that guards 454 corpses of the Second World war.
In 1935 it was built the chapel of Col di Lana, in honour of the Italian soldiers of the First World war. The war memorial in the square 7th November 1918 in Livinallongo reports the name of 135 soldiers of the Fodom valley.
Starting from spring of 1918 the Fodomian refugees came back to the valley freed from the militars and began to rebuild the village, living
  A cominciare dalla primavera del 1918 i profughi fodomi ritornano nella valle abbandonata dai militari e cominciano l’opera di ricostruzione del paese, abitando provvisoriamente nelle baracche militari e nelle poche case risparmiate dai bombardamenti. La ricostruzione viene aiutata dal governo italiano e dal consorzio trentino dei comuni cosiddetti conquistati o liberati. La ricostruzione avrà termine nel 1923-’24. Col trattato di San Germano (1923) il comune di Livinallongo viene aggregato alla provincia di Belluno. Nel 1933 con decreto autografo di Benito Mussolini verrà aggiunto al nome del comune la denominazione “del Col di Lana” che verrà confermato nel referendum popolare comunale indetto dalla Regione Veneto nel 1983.



Find the perfect accommodation for you

Stay connected

Keep in touch with Arabba: always informed!
 
 

Contact  Arabba Fodom Turismo


StreetMesdì 66/A-B Arabba I-32020 Livinallongo del Col di Lana(BL)
Marketing Office P: 0039 0436 780019
Tourist Office P: 0039 0436 79130
E-Mail 
PEC: arabbafodomturismo@confcommercio.legalmail.it
 
Our Partner